Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905, contains a number of photographs arranged throughout its twenty-four pages that have no particular connection to the text, and many of them are pictures that are rarely seen. This is an example.
The picture is identified in Illustrated Hudson as showing the "buildings of the reformatory," which can be seen in the distance along the ridge. The picture was taken from East Court Street, north of the railroad bridge.
The buildings were built in 1887 as the Women's House of Refuge, an institution founded by Progressive reformer Josephine Shaw Lowell. In 1904, a year before this picture was probably taken, the institution became the Girls Training School, part of the New York State juvenile justice system, housing girls between the ages of 12 and 15, and remained so until 1975. The buildings now house the Hudson Correctional Facility.