On Sunday, September 30, the Claverack Historic Preservation Committee is sponsoring a discussion of the historic Shaw Bridge by Dr. Francis Griggs, Jr., historic bridge expert, and John Testa, retired civil engineer. The design of the bridge was patented by Squire Whipple, the "father of American iron bridges," in 1841. Shaw Bridge was built in 1870 and has closed to all traffic since 1995. There is a plan to restore the bridge for use as a pedestrian walkway.
The discussion begins at 3 p.m. at the A. B. Shaw Firehouse, 67 State Route 23 in Claverack. Light refreshments will be served, and an important announcement is promised.