Thursday, August 27, 2015

Night Is Not a Four-Letter Word

Last week, Gossips drew attention to the new green "Welcome" signs at all the entrances to Hudson. This brought collateral attention to the sign explaining the city's parking rules during the hours of darkness and its unfortunate spellings. 


Last night, at the Common Council Public Works Committee meeting, DPW superintendent Rob Perry revealed a new sign, with the words NIGHT and MIDNIGHT spelled correctly, which will soon appear, if it doesn't already, along with the new "Welcome" sign, on every street or road that leads into the city. 

COPYRIGHT 2015 CAROLE OSTERINK

5 comments:

  1. Who pays for this ?
    Oh right Who is the name of every tax payer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windle--I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. The signs with NITE and MIDNITE have been there for almost twenty years. It wasn't as if they put up new signs, realized the misspelling, and then had to redo the signs. It was time to replace them.

      Delete
  2. Presentation is everything ... says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first day in town many years ago I got a parking ticket. Naively parked my car, couldn't find a parking sign. It was pointed out to me in court that the regs we posted at the city limits ...what? Never seen this anywhere else and this is supposed to inform a driver.
    A lame concept at best ... but fitting for Hudson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - me too! My first "nite" in Hudson.

      It's not like I'd have seen the signs at the edge of town in daylight, but I moved into my apartment after midnight. In the morning I saw the parking ticket and thought, "What kind of place is this?"

      Years later, we have a better idea what kind of place this is, which leads me to ask why we shouldn't change our "Friendly City" moniker to something more accurate and fitting?

      Delete