Monday, April 6, 2020

Grisly News Denied

Around noon, I heard on the radio--I believe it was the BBC, but I can't find the report online to confirm it--that there have been so many deaths in New York City that proper interments have become impossible, and there are plans to bury coffins temporarily in trenches dug in city parks. Although I can't find the story online, I didn't imagine it. A reporter at the governor's daily briefing obviously heard the same thing and asked the governor about it. The question is asked at about 23:50 into the briefing. The governor's response was, "I've heard a lot of wild rumors but nothing like that."

Addendum: This report also appeared this morning on the New York Post. 

Update: Several media outlets have picked up this macabre story, but a reader in a comment provided the link to a CNN story that appears to sort out the truth of the situation: "NYC councilman tweets about potential contingency plan of using a NYC park for burials."
COPYRIGHT 2020 CAROLE OSTERINK

2 comments:

  1. I heard it too. It was a recommendation by a NYC councilperson, certainly not an authorized policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/us/new-york-park-burial-morgue-capacity/index.html

    and here, updated with the tweets that provided the original source of the articles; it sounds like this was never a real prospect.

    ReplyDelete