This sweet little Italianate cottage on lower Allen Street was sold recently, and the first improvement the new owner made to the exterior of the house was to remove the inappropriate late 20th-century deck/porch that had been added to the front of the house.
An interesting historic footnote about this house is that the Hudson directory for 1881-82 gives the address of this house as the address for Mrs. George Parton, the mother of Hudson River School painters Arthur and Ernest Parton. She appears, however, to have lived here only for a short time. The directory for 1878-79 lists her address as Prospect Avenue, and the directory for 1882-83 has her back at 290 (now 532) Warren Street, an address connected with the Parton family from 1851 and possibly before. (The directories for 1879-80 and 1880-81 are missing from the collection in the History Room at the library.)